- »The School SEND Information Report
- »How is Daventry Hill School accessible to children and young people with SEND?
How is Daventry Hill School accessible to children and young people with SEND?
- Daventry Hill School is in a purpose built environment which was completed in 2017. The building is designed specifically for students with SEND and as such are fully compliant with DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) requirements.
- The school is split over two levels and the first floor is accessed by one of two lifts.
- Specific rooms are fitted with ceiling mounted hoists, one on each floor; there are portable hoists available, as required, for all other rooms.
- There are a number of accessible toilets and personal care rooms available. There are also shower facilities if required.
- We ensure, wherever possible, equipment used is accessible to all students.
- Any extracurricular activities are planned for all students irrespective of SEND.
- As appropriate Individual students are supported at lunchtime by an identified member of staff.
- Teachers plan educational visits carefully, ensuring that the accessibility needs of individual students are met, and there are fully accessible minibuses available for students who are wheelchair users.
Daventry Hill School positively promotes inclusion and even though we are a special school we recognise that individual children may have difficulties in accessing all that the school has to offer.
We aim to meet all our students’ needs by:
- Including all students in whole class teaching but for some specific activities they may be withdrawn, on occasion, for specific identified work identified by professionals involved.
- Supporting students at lunchtime, ensuring that they are able to make and play/socialise with friends and able to keep themselves safe.
- Some students find making friends difficult and so the school will teach skills through PSHE, to support them to make friends. This will sometimes be taught in small groups.
- All students will be given the opportunities to speak and take part in events such as class assemblies and speaking events. Extra support/resources will be allocated to ensure this takes place.
- All trips, including residential trips, will be available to all students and any adjustments to activities or additional support needed will be allocated by the school where ever possible.
- All whole school activities will be available to all students and any specific support identified will be provided to enable all to participate in the life of the school.