My role in school is to provide support to all students who are struggling to engage with learning due to social, emotional or mental health issues.
Support may begin following a particular incident, or as a planned intervention over time — for instance become a trusted adult for a student to talk to once a week.
My main role is to ensure our students are happy, safe and can understand and manage their emotions — meaning they are in the right place to learn.
I can work individually with a student, or as part of a group - each student’s intervention is personalised to suit them and their needs.
My work can include –
- Teaching emotions are & how to recognise them
- Managing emotions (e.g. angry is okay as long as I have strategies to manage it)
- Nurture support
- Nurture provision at lunchtime via board games club
- Support following trauma or loss
- Support with different social situations e.g. how do I respond in specific situations
- Support with building and sustaining friendships
- Support around community — who is safe to talk to (e.g. Policeman)
- Support development of self awareness — learning who they are, and who they want to be
- Mental health support
- Relationship advice and support
- Hygiene advice and support
- Internet safety