Reading, Writing & Talking
When using 'Read Write Inc' to read the children will:
- Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- Learn to read words by blending the sounds together
- Read lively stories featuring words they have learnt to sound out
- Show that they understand the stories by answering 'Find It' and 'Prove it' discussion questions.
Students will have red and green words to learn to help them to become speedy readers.
- Red words are words that are not easily decodable and challenge words to extend student’s vocabulary.
- Green words are linked to the sounds they have been learning and are easily decodable.
When using 'Read Write Inc' to write the children will:
- Learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds (graphemes)
- Learn to write words by sounding them out and then writing the corresponding graphemes
- Learn to write simple and then increasingly complex sentences
- Compose a range of texts using discussion prompts
- Compose stories based on picture strips.
At Daventry Hill we believe that it is essential that our students have the prerequisite skills necessary for phonics, reading, and writing. Through effective assessment we determine a student’s readiness for phonics and reading; once assessed as being ready pupils access daily phonic lessons as well as regular opportunities to develop their reading skills. We personalise the phonic lesson to make the learning accessible, meaningful and allows all students to achieve