- »Development of Reading & Writing at Daventry Hill School
- »Read Write Inc.
- »What Else Can I Do To Help My Child To Read?
What Else Can I Do To Help My Child To Read?
- Read a variety of books (fiction, non-fiction, rhymes etc).
- Discuss the different features of various books.
- Talk about the books and other reading materials that you have shared.
- Explain the meaning of new words.
Most importantly though, show the fun that can be gained by listening to stories and reading a range of texts (e.g. reading and then following a recipe together).
Don't forget you don't have to read just books - cereal packets, shopping lists, road signs, web pages, magazines, newspapers etc. are useful ways to practise reading.